Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The road back west...

As most of you know, my dad flew out to NC to visit and drive back out west with me.  It was a super short trip, but we managed to pack in all sorts of fun! His flight didn't get in until around 5pm in Charlotte, so that didn't leave much room for fun Thursday night, but we had a packed day on Friday! Jake was kind enough to let my dad  and I enjoy a river trip for free! 
From the minute we arrived at the shop in the morning, I knew we were in for it. The guides immediately covered me in life jackets and giving me a hard time... So it began.  Dad was getting a kick out of all the jokes and Joe killed it on the bus routine.  2 of Jakes kids came with us on the river that day, so we had a really fun "locals boat" with Joe.  With Edge (and only with Edge) do you get to re-run the Anaconda rapid - the biggest one of the day. We took it straight on the first time, sideways the second & my dad even rode "rodeo" (on the front of the boat).  We all got soaked and had a blast!






After the day on the water (and the hilarious bus ride back) we went up to the house & got ready for our dinner at "The Purchase."  Joe and I treated my dad as a thank you for taking the time to come to Banner Elk to pick me up.  We had a beyond amazing 4-course meal which consisted of scallops, strudel, salad, BBQ shrimp, mahi-mahi, salmon, ice cream and chocolate mousse! Laurie, my amazing boss at the Louisiana Purchase also gave me 6 bottles of wine as a thank you for the summer! 

Dad and I got up bright and early on Saturday to begin our journey to the great wild west.  It was sad to leave Banner Elk, but I am so thankful for the amazing summer I had.  The plan was to make is to Kansas City (about 14.5 hours).  Sam, as always, was a great road trip buddy.


The drive was going great & we decided to make it to Topeka to find a hotel room. Unfortunately, the first place we stopped was shadier than shady. I would've felt safer sleeping in a Wal-Mart parking lot!  Needless to say we decided to push on. Thanks to technology, I was able to find a hotel in Salina that allowed dogs. After 17 1/2 hours of driving it was a relief to pull into a decent hotel.  We got up at the crack of dawn to finish the drive to Denver.

My driving limits were being pushed, so I was thankful we only had 6 1/2 hours to go until we reached Highlands Ranch.  Sam, however, always provides a good source of entertainment during long car rides.

Anywho, I'm back in Highlands Ranch and then heading to SLC on Thursday for a brief stay.  I can't wait to get to Missoula & start getting settled in with school & whatnot (and hopefully find a place to live).  And of course, I can't wait for Joe to make his way out west, so we can be a mini-family again.

With love from the Ranch!
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment