Friday, June 4, 2010

Livin in the dirty south


We've been in Banner Elk for 2 weeks now & are really getting into the swing of things here. The rafting season is getting off to a slow start, so Joe has had some days off allowing us to go explore together.  We've visited some gorgeous waterfalls and taken some trips to the next town over, Boone, a super fun college town. 

I started working at "The Purchase," which is the snazziest restaurant in town (and translating to some pretty good tips!). Having never worked in a restaurant before I have a lot to learn, but it's a good time.  Everyone is so nice and I seem to have the same conversation with everyone I meet around here.

Customer: You're not from around here are you?
Me: No sir, I'm from Salt Lake City
Customer: Salt Lake City huh? Are you one of them Mormons?
Me: No sir, I'm not.
Customer: What are those Mormons like anyways?

Everyone seems so curious about the weird state of Utah and it's Mormons. I find it rather entertaining.


One of the things I've been surprised with here is the amount of rain that we get. My impulse purchase of  a rain jacket at REI last year is sure paying off! I practically live in the thing! The rain is great nonetheless and is much needed to fill the creeks up, so Joe can go kayaking. 


We also celebrated Jake's 34th birthday earlier this week. All the raft guides came over and we had a little campfire in the yard. And of course, no birthday is complete without a birthday cake & candles. Happy Birthday to Jake and thanks to him for EVERYTHING!


Anywho, sorry it took us so long to post anything new. We've just been too busy out exploring the gorgeous North Carolina! 

Loves,
Jess, Joe, & Sam



No comments:

Post a Comment